If you are an adventurer or an outdoors enthusiast, you know how important having a fully charged device is.
This is where a power banks come in and play a vital role in making our lives a little bit easier. Here we’ll review the best solar power banks available today.
Reviewing Top Solar Banks
At 25000 mAh this power bank is pretty high capacity with the ability to charge your phone up to eight times – this gives you the freedom to enjoy uninterrupted fun in the outdoors since are connected. It also has a dual-USB output that you can use to charge two phones simultaneously. The power bank has convenient flashlight and SOS should you feel the need to signal for help. It is also a genuinely rugged device made for the outdoors – it is shock, dust and rain proof.
- A high capacity power bank with the ability to charge up to eight times
- Two USB outputs you can use to charge two phones at the same time
- A flashlight and SOS especially critical for some outdoors such as hiking
- It is shock, dust and rainproof making it ideal for all outdoors
- Has an intelligent protection system to prevent overcurrent, overcharging and short circuit
- Can charge other devices such as Tablet
- A relatively expensive device
This is an attractive 16,000 mAh solar charger that packs enough juice to charge your devices multiple times. The solar charger is both IP67 and IPX67 rated and is quite shock, water, and proof. It also has all the functions you consider essential in an outdoor solar power charger such as the flashlight and SOS.
- Has the capacity to charge your devices a number of times out in remote areas
- IP67 and IPX67 rated making it sufficiently rugged for the outdoors
- Packed with all the essential functions making it ideal for the outdoors
- The charger is easy to use, and all you need to do is connect your device and hit the power button
- May lose power a bit rapidly
This charger comes with a 2A maximum charging capacity which means that it is almost two times better compared to the others. It also supports up to three recharges for those high-end devices such as the latest iPhones and Samsung devices. And if you have two phones, this charger efficiently charges them simultaneously making it easier for you. To make it easier to have around, the device is ergonomically designed and lightweight. It also has a ring to hang on the backpack and charge while you are on the move.
- Has a fast charging capacity ensuring that it is always packed and ready to go
- Up to three recharges for those high-end phones you use
- Has two charging ports for two phones making it easier for you
- Portable and ergonomically designed to have around
- It is a durable product that is dust, shock and waterproof
- Extra functional features such as a compass, flashlight, and SOS
- May not be fast enough when it comes to charging
Unlike other products you have seen on the market, this charger comes with three solar panels for increased solar absorption. Its maximum input is 2.1A and takes a short time to charge fully. And to ensure your safety, the device incorporates safe charging technology keeping your device safe from overcharging and short circuits among others.
- Comes with three panels for increased solar absorption
- A maximum input of 2.1A for fast charging
- Two ports to charge two devices at the same time saving you time
- Incorporates safe charging technology for safety
- A rugged design with a rating of IPX6 – it is shockproof, dustproof and waterproof
- Supports three modes of convenience and emergency situations
- Requires direct and strong sunlight to charge sufficiently
- It takes a considerable amount of time to charge
This is a high capacity battery that charges some of the high-end devices such as iPhone 7 and Galaxy S6 for up to three times. It has dual USB charging to ensure that you are feeding two devices with power. The charger has multiple protection technologies for durability – this is a device that will take years of use.
- 12000mAh capacity to charge high-end devices for up to three times
- Dual USB charging for the charging of two phones at the same time
- Has a rugged design to ensure an extended period of service
- Several LED indicators to conveniently indicate power status
- May take too long to charge
- The buttons are not that easy to press
And what is a Solar Power Bank?
A solar power bank is the solar version of the battery-powered storage unit. These products are quite innovative as they get their power from sunlight.
It’s all about convenience as they grab sufficient power from the outdoor sunlight for your devices. They make staying connected as easy as can be and it is a good thing.
Many solar power banks can still be charged from an electric outlet too whether at home or the office and so you won’t need to have one just for indoors.
Power Delivery (PD)
This is a relatively new standard that contemporary devices are increasingly coming packed with. PD chargers and now power banks are coming with the ability to deliver a significant amount of power with the potential to go as high as 100W.
Qualities of the Best Solar Power Bank
- Chargeable with Electricity: it’s usually not enough that a solar power bank conveniently utilizes solar power to pack up some juice for your devices. The best among them should easily connect to the wall socket and charge. Ideally, you should charge it using electricity and top it up with solar when outdoors.Well, it takes a considerable amount of time to start from nothing when using solar energy. It would not be appropriate to wait considerably longer before you can get a decent amount for your phone.
- Rugged: the main reason for having a solar power bank is the outdoors. They are designed to be your companion while on travel or in the harsh and remote environment. As a result, these devices must demonstrate a decent level of ruggedness to withstand outdoor abuse.They must be water, shock and dust resistant and have an ergonomic design allowing charging while on travel. Some are easy to clip on the backpack saving you the trouble of having to go holding it.
- Incorporate Smart IC: you may have realized that phone manufacturers require you to use their specific charger. Well, they are not wrong in this as every charger has a particular circuit enhancing fast charging and safety for the particular model.A power bank should also employ a similar technology allowing a particular device to charge speedily and safely. The best charger should be compatible with a variety of latest smartphones so that you don’t need to rush to the stores every time you acquire a new model.Typically, they use PowerIQ or other similar technology to recognize the device you have connected to charge. The best solar power banks should not have a problem with the majority of devices.Some of the phones still come with 5W chargers. However, the majority of them utilize above 10W, and so it is always wise to choose fast charging power banks to be on the safe side.
- Safety: power banks and other types of battery-related devices come with a particular risk. It is imperative your preferred device has all the necessary safety certifications such as FCC, RoHS, and CE to ensure they are suitable for your use.It should also have a feature preventing overcharging, undercharging and short circuits. It should also not be prone to overheating.
- Brand: in every market, there are known brands associated with quality and the same case applies to power banks. It isn’t too hard to identify a top brand. All you need is a little ‘asking around’ and research on the internet. Top brands have many top reviews and are relatively expensive – of course, you can’t expect them to be cheap.
- Additional Features: and since you will be using this power bank in outdoors, it is necessary that it packs other features such as a compass and flashlight – just to ensure you are well-sorted while on travel or on the hunt. It would be nice if it can also transmit SOS.