Flying or long distance journeys have their challenges. You can get on the plane or bus all excited, and feeling energized only to get off feeling groggy and tired, after that.
To ensure you get adequate rest while on your journey, a travel pillow may be necessary. The best memory foam travel pillow will support your neck ensuring that you drift off to sleep effortlessly. Below is a review of some of the top selections available.
Type of Travel Pillows
There are different types of travel pillows based on the material. Among the most common include, inflatable travel pillows which are mostly U-shaped. The good thing about the inflatables is that they can be filled to desired levels. They are very lightweight and compact suited for light travelers. You can quickly fold it into a neat square and slide it into your carry-on. Inflatable pillows are relatively cheap and best-suited for the budget travelers.
Microbead pillows contain polystyrene beads whose shape varies consistently with your neck for support and comfort. Generally speaking, these pillows cannot match the convenience of inflatables. They can have uncomfortable dips and may not support your neck adequately. Over time, the fabric may stretch, and the beads may move to the edges where they are not of much use. If you are a light packer, this pillow will prove the least favorable.
For a firm and consistent support to your neck, high-density memory pillows are some of the most appropriate. For light packers, this pillow can be squeezed for up to half their size making them easy to carry – though they cannot match the level of an inflatable. And to ensure they don’t slip out of place while asleep, some of them come with clips. Memory foam pillows are some of the most comfortable as they can easily maintain their firmness and stay high on your neck. Their downside is that their price is a bit high in comparison to microbead and inflatables. However, they may prove a worthy investment if a frequent traveler.
Other patented designs that especially go around the front of the body for the front sleepers have come up. These travel pillows take the form of a neck brace or scarf and are quite comfortable. A wrap-around like Trtl is made of fleece material and can be pretty comfortable if traveling in colder environments. However, this may not be the best if you are among those that quickly get irritated by any pressure to the neck.
Important Tips when Traveling
- Always remember to have some spare space for your travel pillow. Of course, it is easy to forget it even though it is the most important. You will need to know how you are going to have it along as you travel – you can hang it on your neck as you move from one place to the other.
- Plan your shopping beforehand and take your time to select the best product for you. Last minute rush can end you up with an inferior quality product or an expensive one at the airline shops that you would have obtained at a much lower price, elsewhere
- A travel pillow will only work if you have a peace of mind. It would prove extremely difficult to get some sleep if in the middle of the journey you realize you left essential business documents behind. Take your time to prepare and have a checklist as you pack if necessary. A successful business presentation is partly how organized and prepared you are. It is also essential to have adequate travel insurance for a complete peace of mind.
- Some travelers get a pleasant surprise when they get to the plane or bus and discover that the bag they thought was so unique is not, after all. There are several other passengers with a similar item, and you are then forced to keep checking your luggage to avoid taking the wrong one. To be honest, your travel pillow will do so little at such a time. For more natural identification, it is essential to add a name tag or a colorful ribbon to your bag.
- Always know your flight number to avoid confusion at the airport when you find out that the foreign airline does not list the full names of the destinations.
- Just because you are visiting your friends overseas does not mean that you shouldn’t be early. There is a host of reasons to be an early riser, and that includes avoiding the traffic and unpleasant encounters with scammers and pickpockets – being early is their least favorite.
Memory Foam Travel Pillow Reviews
The thing about this travel pillow is that it is filled with compressible stuff so that can you can easily squeeze it into your backpack or duffel along with other things. It is versatile since you can have it for a variety of uses such a camping, business travel or others. The pillow is made of poly blend cover and Viscose Rayon for optimal thermal regulation. It is dust mite resistant and hypoallergic making it one of the best foam travel pillows on the market.
- Convenient as it can be squeezed into small spaces
- It is quite versatile
- Made of thermal regulating materials for added comfort
- Easy to carry
- Designed specifically for adults
- May be bulky for traveling
- May need propping as a travel pillow to keep from moving around
This is a set specially designed for those that have trouble sleeping while traveling. The set includes a foam travel pillow, earplugs, and blindfold. This pillow has an ergonomic design conforming to the shape of your neck enhancing your comfort so you can sleep easy. It is firm and retains its shape when in use. The eye mast ensures that you get a total blackout for uninterrupted sleep. The pillow is satisfaction guaranteed assuring you a quality product that performs the role it should adequately.
- Specifically designed for travel sleeping
- Has an ergonomic design
- Firm so that it retains its shape
- Face mask and foam earplugs for better sleep
- It is satisfaction guaranteed
- Made from the easy to clean soft polyester
- May be too thick to make any adequate adjustments
The standout feature for this pillow is its ergonomic design that will relieve any back pain you may be having. The adjustable straps allow you to make appropriate adjustments to fit your needs. It is versatile as you can use it with office chair, on the plane, and on the train – you don’t need to worry about bad posture while on travel. The pillow comes with adjustable straps to keep it in place so that it does not keep moving. Its material has antibacterial properties to your benefit.
- Has an ergonomic design
- Easy to use
- Adjustable straps for a firm positioning
- Has an orthopedic design
- Its material has antibacterial properties
- May be too soft for some people to offer any support
The memory foam on this pillow is quite responsive to ensure you get adequate support for your back when traveling. This product is covered with machine-washable velour cover – to ensure that the pillow is always hygienic and smelling nice which is quite essential when traveling. It also has ventilation holes for adequate aeration and possibly the best sleeping experience – no dealing with sweaty encounters.
This is a versatile and comfortable pillow that you can use for travel, studying, reading, camping and working. You can also take it comfortably to the beach. And should you feel the need to inquire about something regarding the product, the manufacturers have an excellent customer service.
- A responsive foam pillow
- Has an easy to wash Velour cover
- Has holes for optimal airflow
- A versatile pillow
- Comes with a free bag
- Earplug and sleep mask
- May still have the unpleasant manufacture odor
- May be too thick for airplane seat
This is an appealing travel pillow made from durable polyester. The material is easy to wash and handle in case of anything such as spills – something you can’t just avoid. And another thing about polyester is that it is soft to the touch. The pillow is ultra-light and compressible – godsend for the people that love traveling light. You can quickly pack it into a duffle, suitcase or backpack and so it is convenient. There are those pillows that passengers on plane carry that are too long proving bothersome to the neighbors. This product is compact to fit just your seat – you don’t want sitting next to a grumbling neighbor when the pillow gets to their face.
- Ultra-light and compressible
- The material is gentle on the skin
- Machine washable
- Has no straps
The best memory foam travel pillow must be easy to carry, functional and comfortable. All the listed products easily make the cut lest for a few shortcomings here and there. Our recommended pillow is without a doubt Coop Home Goods Premium Shredded Memory Foam Camping and Travel Pillow. This versatile pillow is compact, lightweight and is made of a thermal regulating material for optimal comfort. And with antibacterial properties and easy to clean feature, it is arguably a decent choice for you.