Opened in 2015, the Moon Palace Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios is one of the newest all-inclusive hotels along the island’s north coast. The resort is the replacement of the former Sunset Jamaica Grande, refurbished into a massive 705-room spectacle.
The enormity of it all took a while to sink in when I visited recently. It is truly a grand destiny, split into two high-rise buildings, replete with lots of aesthetic grandeur. Below is a summary of my experience.
What I liked
- Stunning décor – warm, earthy colours and minimal design elements help to create a modern but relaxing atmosphere.
- Spacious room – feels big and airy plus they come with balconies, and many give breathtaking ocean views (the higher you go).
- Great location – in addition to being within 10-minutes walking distance from the town of Ocho Rios, Moon Palace is also a stone’s throw away from a number of attractions, including Dunn’s River Falls.
- Beach and water sports aplenty – you can just lay on a sunbed getting a tan or go scuba-diving if you prefer.
- Lots to enjoy – there is an extensive list of things for the entire family to enjoy at any time of the day.
- Friendly staff – the front desk staff was pleasant, helpful and professional, as were all the other workers I encountered during my stay.
What I didn’t like
Not much to dislike, except getting from point A to point B for some activities can be a bit tiring due to the size of the property.
The Moon Palace Jamaica Grande is possibly one of the best all-inclusive resorts I have visited. If nothing, they do live up to the slogan “awe-inclusive” by wowing guests with appealing surroundings. Stepping into the expansive lobby provides you with an inviting feel, with its mirror-shine marble floor, cushy furniture pieces, and a bold, accentuated check-in desk. Not to mention being greeted by a nice bottle of wine.
Inside the room, you get a sense of modern simplicity; the browns and earth pinks breaking up the regal white and beige of the sheets and linen. When the drapes are open during the day, the natural light gives the room an airy, dreamy atmosphere, plus the ocean view from the balcony gives a nice beach house vibe.
Some included extras come with each room that helps to make it cozy; things like a smart TV, free Wi-Fi, coffeemaker, liquor dispenser and a mini fridge. For iPod owners, there is a special dock for your device. There is even a neat little work desk, which came in handy for me – I wasn’t confined to the bed to catch up on business.
Outside, there are some ways to pass the time, like taking a dip in one of the four pools that line the beach, and with swim-up bars and sunbeds, or taking a swim at the main beach. If you prefer water sports, you can hop over to the smaller beach next door. One of the cool attractions that I enjoyed was the surf machine, which allowed me to experience ‘catching a wave.’ Other cool amenities you might want to check out is the Awe-Spa, where you can get relaxed and rejuvenated in one of 23 treatment rooms (reservation required), or you can break a sweat at the state-of-the-art gym.
Being a family-oriented resort, the kids are well taken care of, with their waterpark, toys, games, a playground and lots more.
All of that and I haven’t even mentioned the food and drinks. You can get your fill at any (or all) of four restaurants serving a variety of cuisines, plus snack bars, and a 24-hour cafeteria.
Book Your Stay at a Great Deal
There’s much more we could discuss, but you’ll have to discover for yourself when you book a trip to the majestic Moon Palace Jamaica Grande. Check below for available dates.